Information has been updated for the 2020 Graduation Activities.
Date: Saturday, May 9, 2020
Location: Suburban Collection Showplace, Novi, Michigan
Time: Ceremony begins at 1:30 p.m.
- Admission to University Commencement is by ticket only.
- In order to receive tickets for Commencement, graduates must complete the Participation Form.
- Pick up tickets for Commencement from the Gateway to Graduation in Room 1213 between Wednesday, April 1, 2020 and Saturday, April 4, 2020.
Gateway to Graduation in Room 1213 (across from the Bookstore)
Wednesday, April 1, 2020 ... 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 2, 2020 ... 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Friday, April 3, 2020 ... 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, April 4, 2020 ... 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Participating graduates will receive up to 6 complimentary tickets.
- Additional tickets may be available upon request. Graduates can make requests here. Requests will be reviewed by the Commencement Core Team after April 24, 2020.
- Graduates may have tickets mailed if requested in writing. Please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope. These requests should be sent to Office of Student Life, Attn: Commencement Tickets, 36600 Schoolcraft Road, Livonia, MI 48150.
- Commencement tickets will only be released to the graduate. A note from the graduate is needed in order for a family member or friend to pick up tickets in place of a graduate. These notes can be handwritten or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the graduate’s student ID number and the name of the family member or friend picking up the tickets. The family member or friend picking up tickets will need to show photo ID.
PHOTOS AND VIDEO
- Graduation Foto has been contracted for Commencement and will photograph graduates as they cross the stage. Within one week following Commencement, Graduation Foto will send proofs to participants with information on placing orders.
- Madonna University’s Broadcast and Cinema Arts department will video record the Commencement ceremony. Following Commencement, graduates and their families will be able to purchase a full video recording of the ceremony, including every graduate as they walk across the stage. The digital download of the Commencement ceremony will be available for purchase on July 1, 2020. If you'd like to be notified when it's available, please sign-up here.
PARKING AND DIRECTIONS
- There is ample parking at Suburban Collection Showplace. There is a $5 fee for each vehicle entering the lot.
- Handicapped parking is available.
- Suburban Collection Showplace is located on the north side of Grand River Avenue between Beck Road and Taft Road. A map and directions can be found here.
- Graduates should arrive at 12:30 p.m.
- Graduates will be directed to a holding area until the ceremony begins.
- Guests will be required to present their tickets upon entry at the front of the building.
- Guest seating will begin at 12:30 p.m.
- Business casual attire is recommended for graduates and their guests.
- Wear your cap, gown, and hood.
- Your tassel should lay on the right side of your cap.
- Women are encouraged to wear low heeled comfortable shoes.
- Please do not bring in boxes or hangers.
- Please leave purses, valuables, corsages, flowers, and other accessories with relatives or friends.
- Due to capacity needs, seats can only be held until 15 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- Handicap seating is available.
- Ushers will be available to direct your guests to seats.
- Proper decorum is required. This is a formal ceremony.
- Because the program is up to three hours in length, the attendance of children under five years is strongly discouraged.
- Guests are welcome to take non-flash photos or videos during the ceremony but are to stay in their seats. Only authorized, contracted photographers are permitted to take pictures on the main floor.
TIPS FOR GRADUATES
BEFORE THE CEREMONY
- Please follow the Ushers to leave the holding area and prepare for the procession.
- Please be sure you are holding your name card and yellow photo card. Please raise your hand to call an Usher if you need assistance.
- Please follow the Ushers at all times.
- Place your tassel on the right side.
- Turn off all cell phones.
DURING THE CEREMONY
- Remain in your seats during the Ceremony.
- Follow the instructions for the gold-gowned ushers.
- Your College/School Dean will lead you to the right side of the stage.
- Give your yellow photo card to the Graduation Foto representative prior to walking up the ramp.
- Give your name card to the person at the podium.
- Walk across the stage, receive your diploma from President Grandillo, and shake hands with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees as you exit to the left side of the stage.
- Pause at the photo area to take your picture before you return to your seat.
- Help the graduate in front of you. If you notice his or her hood is not straight, please make sure you adjust it so photos turn out beautifully.
AFTER THE CEREMONY:
- Please follow the direction of the gold-gowned ushers to return to the holding area.