2019-20 Election Application Deadline EXTENDED! New deadline: Monday, March 18, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
1. Nominations/ applications to file for office shall be available on Monday, February 11, 2019.
2. The Election Committee must be established by Monday, February 18, 2019.
3. The deadline for filing for office shall be Sunday, March 10, 2019.
4. There shall be 30-minute mandatory candidate meetings:
Thursday, February 21, 2019 at 7:00pm in the Collaborative Learning Center
Monday, February 25, 2019 at 7:00pm in the Collaborative Learning Center
Tuesday, February 26, 2019 at 4:30pm in the Collaborative Learning Center
Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at 10:30am in the Collaborative Learning Center
Thursday, February 28, 2019 at 10:00am in the Collaborative Learning Center
Friday, March 1, 2019 at 12:00pm in the Collaborative Learning Center
5. Active campaigning shall begin no sooner than Monday, March 11, 2019.
6. Receipts for purchases made during the course of the campaign must be turned in to the Office of Student Life by Friday, April 5, 2019.
7. Voting shall take place Friday, April 5, 2019 - Friday, April 12, 2019.
8. The deadline to file for grievances against a candidate shall be Monday, April 15, 2019.
9. The Election Committee will meet to validate results on Monday, April 15, 2019.
10. Winners shall be announced Tuesday, April 16, 2019.
11. Inauguration will be held on Friday, May 3, 2019.
Candidates running for Student Senate must follow all Campaign Rules
Questions and clarification about the Campaign Rules will be determined by the Student Senate Election Committee and the Student Senate Advisor.
Petition - 100 signatures from current students is required to be placed on the ballot.
Grievances must be submitted by Monday, April 15, 2019.
File a Grievance
Greivances are received by the Student Senate Advisor and reviewed by the Student Senate Election Committee
If a student wishes to run for Student Senate, but does not meet all the requirements, he/she may file a Special Request.
Special Requests: All special requests begin with this form
Note: A lack of knowledge regarding the policies/procedures that affect you and/or a lack of attendance are not a basis for approving any request.
Instructions: Complete the request form. Be specific about the details in your appeal.
Justification: Clearly state why you feel you are entitled to consideration. Provide any information specific to your request, including any action(s) you have already taken and any documentation you have attached. It is preferred to include a typed letter explaining the request in detail.
Turn in your completed form and any supporting documentation to the Student Senate Advisor in the Office of Student Life. Requests can also be emailed to Student Senate Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There shall only be one appeal per situation.
Documentation: It is the student’s responsibility to provide supporting documentation. Once submitted, documentation will be reviewed and shredded and cannot be returned to you. If your justification includes any of the following, the appropriate documentation should be included with your request:
Medical Reasons – a doctor’s note indicating the dates of treatment.
Death of a family member – a copy of a death announcement.
Change in work situation (hours, location, etc.) – a confirmation letter from your direct supervisor or company Human Resource representative with your former and new or adjusted hours, location, etc.
Instructor support – if you have already spoken to the instructor, include a copy of their support.
Review: The Student Senate Election Committee will review all requests anonymously. A decision or status report will be communicated to you by MU email within 10 working days of receipt of your request. If you have not received a communication in that time, contact the Student Senate Advisor for more information.
All decisions by the Student Senate Election Committee are final.
The Student Senate Election Committee is comprised of an odd number of students, not running for Student Senate, who will ensure that the Student Senate election process is handled in accordance with the Constitution and By-Laws of Madonna University's Student Senate.
Members for 2019-20 Election Season:
CHAIR: Sarah Fuzi, Student Senate Senator for the College of Arts and Humanities, 2018-19
Remaining members will be named on Monday, February 18, 2019.
1. Submit the Open Seat Application online at the link above.
2. Print the Open Seat Petition, or pick one up in Student Life (Room 1411), and have 100 current students sign it to support you. Note: Current members of Student Senate are not permitted to sign petitions.
3. Turn in completed petition to the Office of Student Life (Room 1411) to be reviewed by the Speaker of the Senate and the Student Senate Advisor.
4. Upon the completion of your application, petition, and attendance at three meetings, your application will be brought forward to a vote in General Assembly. You will be in contact with the Speaker of the Senate and the Student Senate Advisor through this process.
Senator, College of Education
Senator, Commuter Students
Senator, First-Year Students
Senator, International Students (2)
Senator, Resident Students
Senator, At-Large (3)
New info coming soon