- Students complete an internship involving seminar sessions and field experience.
The internship is a major milestone of the program enabling the student to identify a leadership opportunity addressing a need of his or her institution or district, develop a proposal that includes the graduate student in a leadership role for the project, and to work with his or her supervisor to carry out the project. The project or activity must have substance and legitimacy and respond to a real need in the school or district. The project is carried out over the course of a year, part of which is concurrent with enrollment in EDU 6320 & EDU 6330: Internship in Catholic School Leadership and Seminar. The student works closely with the course instructor and field mentor during the internship experience to develop a proposal, carry out the project while keeping a running journal commentary on the progress of the student's learning, write a paper describing and analyzing the project, and share the results with classmates during the final sessions of the seminar.
- Students benefit from personal attention from faculty and advisors at Madonna University.
The College of Education takes pride in the fact that each student is appreciated as an individual with our small and friendly program and class sizes. In addition, the Catholic School Leadership program has a purposeful balance of full-time faculty and adjunct faculty who are educational practitioners. The faculty coordinate program goals, objectives and content to provide a coherent plan of study for an optimal blend of theory and practice.
- Four of the courses are offered at Sacred Heart Major Seminary in Detroit as part of a collaborative agreement among Madonna University, Sacred Heart Major Seminary, and the Archdiocese of Detroit Office for Catholic Schools.
- School law and school finance courses target the specific knowledge and skills needed for effective leadership in the Archdiocese of Detroit Catholic Schools.
- Madonna University offers a special tuition rate for educators working in the Archdiocese of Detroit Catholic Schools.
- The capstone course in the program, Education 6930: Seminar in Educational Leadership, ties together the leadership themes of the program as they relate to current issues and practice.