Provisional Admits | Printer Friendly
Who are provisionally admitted students?
Provisional admission is offered to applicants whose credentials may not satisfy the minimum undergraduate admissions criteria (e.g., GPA, ACT/SAT scores, etc.), but whose maturity and seriousness of purpose indicate potential for academic success. Students granted provisional admission:
- will be notified of the reason they were not granted regular admission;
- will be required to meet with the provisional advisor prior to registration each semester while on provisional status; and
- may be expected to fulfill additional requirements as determined by the provisional advisor.
How will I know if I am provisionally admitted?
There are two indicators to alert students to the fact that they are provisionally admitted:
- the admission letter will have the words “provisional admission” and/or
- a “Must See Provisional Advisor” hold is placed on your academic record (see MY Portal’s Student tab) until regular admission status is granted.
What are my responsibilities as a provisionally admitted student?
- Clarify personal values, abilities, interests and goals by developing and utilizing a career plan that supports your life goals. Independently assess and act on life goals.
- Independently evaluate, map, and manage progress toward degree completion by using advising materials and degree audits.
- Contact and make an appointment with advisor when required or when in need of assistance.
- Become knowledgeable and adhere to institutional policies, procedures, and requirements as printed in the Madonna University Undergraduate Bulletin, the Course Schedule, and the Student Handbook.
- Prepare for advising sessions and bring appropriate resources and/or materials and any questions regarding receiving an education at Madonna University.
- Follow through on actions identified during each advising session.
What are the responsibilities of my provisional advisor?
The provisional advisor will take special care of you by providing the support, guidance, and coaching needed during the first two semesters at Madonna University to give you a chance to adjust to the demands of our curriculum.
The Provisional Advisor is assigned to you with the provison that he or she will:
- advise you with special attention to your capabilities and strengths (intellectual, emotional, etc.);
- refer you to the offices and programs that can assist you when you need help;
- sign your semester registrations and changes of registration forms. We ask that students do not enroll in online (or hybrid) courses until regular admission is granted; and
- monitor your progress and success.
When is the “Must See Provisional Advisor” hold removed?
Students will remain on provisional status until they successfully complete:
- a minimum of 12 s.h. of academic credit; and
- two consecutive semesters of registration with a minimum semester GPA of 2.0 or better.
For additional information or to schedule an academic advising meeting, please contact the Office of Academic Advising at 734-432-5417 or email@example.com.