- Call 9-911 from a university phone or 911 from an outside line
- In case of an immediate life-threatening event, each individual should take whatever actions are necessary to protect his/her own life
- If it is possible to flee the area safely and avoid danger, do so
- If flight is impossible, lock (or barricade) all doors and secure yourself in a safe area
- Silence cell phones
- Individuals should be positioned out of site and behind items that might offer additional protection – walls, desks, file cabinets, etc.
- Responding officers will move quickly to the area where the armed intruder is located. Keep your hands visible. Responding officers must not only identify the assailant, but must determine you are not involved in the situation.
- Wait for an all clear from emergency personnel. Be sure to verify the individual making such an announcement is in fact an officer