For the most up-to-date information on the 2017 Graduation Activities, please log into MY Portal. Under the Students tab go to Graduation Info 2017.
Undergraduate Application for Graduation Form
Undergraduate Application for Certificates Form
To apply for undergraduate graduation:
- Fill out the appropriate Application for Graduation
- Pay the $75 fee ($85 if late) online or at the Student Accounts Office. If paying online, please attach a copy of your receipt.
Note: the graduation fee does not cover cap and gown or other commencement participation costs.
- Review the Application for Graduation with your advisor and discuss any issues of concern.
- Have your advisor sign the Application and attach a plan of study.
- Submit the Application to the Registrar's Office by the date applicable to you:
|You must apply for graduation before…||If you will finish taking courses in…||You will be eligible* to participate in Commencement on…|
|January 29, 2016||July 2016 (Spring/Summer 2016)||May 2016 OR May 2017|
|June 3, 2016||December 2016 (Fall 2016)||May 2017|
|September 30, 2016||April 2017 (Winter 2017)||May 2017|
|January 31, 2017||July 2017 (Spring/Summer 2017)||May 2017 OR May 2018|
*Doctoral students are eligible to participate only if they have submitted their final project at least 30 days prior to the last day of the winter semester.
Students graduate at the end of the semester in which they complete their academic program requirements. To initiate the graduation process, students must submit an application to graduate, due approximately two semesters before expected graduation (see schedule above). The graduation application and fee are active for one year from the intended graduation semester. Applications one year or more beyond the originally intended semester of graduation are expired. Expired applications require a new application and fee. Diplomas are mailed to students approximately six to eight weeks after the end of the semester.
Master's and Doctorate Graduates
Graduate students should contact the Graduate School for information on applying for graduation.
There is only one commencement in May each year. Students who expect to graduate at the end of the spring/summer semester in July may choose to participate in commencement exercises in the May before or after their courses are completed. December graduates participate in the commencement following completion.
Degrees with Distinction - Academic Honors at Commencement
Academic honors are available to students receiving a bachelor degree and are based on the students’ final cumulative GPA at Madonna University. Degrees with distinction are based on the following grade point averages:
|1HONR||With Honors||3.5 - 3.699|
|2HONR||With High Honors||3.7 - 3.899|
|3HONR||With Highest Honors||3.9 - 4.0|
For the purposes of commencement, honors will be based on the student’s cumulative grade point average at the end of the fall semester. At the time the degree is conferred, final honors will be calculated and appropriately recorded on the diploma and transcript.
Family and Guests of Graduates
Graduates: Please log into MY Portal for complete 2017 Graduation Information.
The following information is intended for the family and guests of Madonna University graduates. Download a printable version.
Date: Thursday, May 11, 2017
Mass begins at 7 p.m.
Location: Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Chapel, Felician Sisters Central Convent
Parking: Campus Map
Please park in lots 11, 20, and 14. Handicapped parking is available near the entrance to the Chapel.
- Business casual attire is recommended
- Mass is a solemn celebration
- Please participate by singing and responding at appropriate times
- Silence is observed at all other times
- Follow the Graduation Mass booklet
- Please be careful when raising or lowering the kneelers, so as to avoid excessive noise during the celebration
Participation during Holy Communion
For those who are not receiving Holy Communion, you may come up during the Communion procession with your arms crossed to receive a blessing from the priest; or you may remain in your seat.
Reception for Graduates and Families
Immediately following Mass, graduates and their guests are invited to the University Center Dining Hall for a dessert reception. There will be an opportunity for photos with the Madonna University backdrop in the Dining Hall.
DATE: Saturday, May 13, 2017
Location: Suburban Collection Showplace, Novi, Michigan
First ceremony begins at 10:30 a.m. (approximately 2 hours in length)
Second ceremony begins at 2:00 p.m. (approximately 2 hours in length)
- Admission to University Commencement is by ticket only.
- In order to receive tickets for Commencement, graduates must complete the Participation Form.
- Pick up tickets for Commencement from Student Life in Room 1411 beginning Monday, April 3, 2017.
- Participating graduates will receive complimentary tickets (amount to be determined).
- Additional tickets may be available upon request. Graduates can make requests by email to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Requests should include graduate's name, student ID number, number of
tickets requested, and reason for request. Requests will be reviewed by the Graduation Core Team.
- Graduates may have tickets mailed if requested in writing. Please enclose a self-addressed stamped
envelope. These requests should be sent to Office of Student Life, Attn: Commencement Tickets, 36600
Schoolcraft Road, Livonia, MI 48150.
- A note from the graduate is needed in order for a family member or friend to pick up tickets in place of a
graduate. These notes can be handwritten or emailed to email@example.com and must include the
graduate’s student ID number and the name of the family member or friend picking up the tickets.
DVD and Photos
- A Commencement DVD produced by Madonna University Technology Learning Services is available for
purchase ($10 each). When your graduate completes the Participation Form, he/she can order a DVD.
Otherwise, DVDs can be ordered from Student Accounts (Room 2005). DVDs will be mailed following
- Graduation Foto has been contracted for Commencement and will photograph graduates as they cross
the stage. Within one week, Graduation Foto will send proofs to participating graduates with information
on placing orders.
- There is ample parking at Suburban Collection Showplace. There is a $5 fee for each car entering the lot.
- Handicapped parking is available.
- Suburban Collection Showplace is located on the north side of Grand River Avenue between Beck Road
and Taft Road. A map and directions can be found here.
- Due to capacity needs, seats can only be held 15 minutes prior to the ceremony.
- Handicap seating is available.
- Ushers will be available to direct guests to seats.
- Proper decorum is required. This is a formal ceremony. Please turn off all cell phones.
- Because the program is two hours long, the attendance of children under five years is strongly
- Guests are welcome to take non-flash photos or videos during the exercises but are to stay in their
seats. Only authorized, contracted photographers are permitted to take pictures on the main floor.
The Alumni Office offers the first giving opportunity to new alumni in the form of a Spirit Tassel. Spirit Tassels can be purchased for $20.16 and graduates will be recognized at Commencement for wearing this tassel. There are other opportunities to recognize your graduate and give back to the University. The Alumni Office can be reached at 734-432-5811 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Madonna University Bookstore carries a variety of items for graduates and new alumni. You can purchase diploma frames, t-shirts, sweatshirts, mugs, and more! The Bookstore can be reached at 734-432-5613 or http://madonna.bncollege.com/