In order to meet the intellectual, spiritual, and personal developmental needs of students within the framework of Catholic and Franciscan higher education, the Madonna University community commits itself to living its core values:
- Excellence: A commitment to quality pervades all of the University's endeavors to fulfill its mission and educational purposes. This involves a philosophy of continuous improvement based upon rigorous assessment, focused reflection, and informed decision making.
- Respect: Madonna University recognizes each individual's effort is vital to achieving his or her goals and purposes while valuing each member's special talents and contributions. A diversity of races, creeds, cultures, and disabilities enriches the University community by creating a climate of mutual respect and justice to affirm each individual's right to dignity and civility.
- Community: Madonna University fosters a spirit of belonging, interdependence, and solidarity based on principles of mutual trust, respect for each individual, and social justice. The University strives to be an agent of transformation that, through the power of liberal arts education integrated with career preparation, creates positive change in the lives of the individuals and communities it touches.
- Educational Access: Since its founding, Madonna University has provided educational access for diverse groups that would not have had ready access to higher education otherwise, regardless of race, creed, disability, age, or socio-economic status. This commitment extended to male students in 1972 and to off-campus and distance education students in the 1980s and 1990s. The University will continue to be a positive force in society by responding to the educational needs of underserved groups. In addition, Madonna University strives to deliver exceptional value at a cost below national norms for private institutions, thus remaining affordable to all students.
- Intellectual, Spiritual, and Personal Development: Madonna University creates a learner-centered environment committed to the intellectual, spiritual, and personal development of its members: students, faculty, and staff. It is focused on developing the whole person both for professional employment and a life dedicated to truth, goodness, and service. Each member of the University community is expected to manifest a commitment to lifelong learning, continued professional development, and engagement in civic and community responsibilities.
- Integrity: The University practices honesty in all matters, including how it presents itself to its various publics and how it conducts all transactions and financial business. By manifesting integrity, the University models this ideal for its students, employees, and the community at large, thus fulfilling a significant aspect of its teaching mission.
- Responsible Stewardship: The Madonna University community recognizes that all of its resources are gifts from God. With these blessings comes the responsibility to shepherd resources wisely and responsibly and to optimize their role in achieving the University's mission, vision, and purpose. Animated by the Franciscan spirit of service, the University deploys its resources for the benefit of its members, to foster learning, to promote social "stewardship," and the fulfillment of human potential.