Why Study Adult-Ger Acute Care NP w/AP HSP & Pall Care MSN at Madonna University?
- Madonna University pioneered offerings of formal higher education in hospice and palliative care for nurses in advanced practice roles
- Program provides preparation for the full scope of NP practice in Adult-Gerontology Acute Care and Adult Advanced Practice Hospice/Palliative Care
- Your clinical courses will be taught by practicing NP faculty
- Alumni are highly satisfied with their preparation for entering advanced practice nursing
You will be prepared to provide advanced practice acute care NP services to the adult-gerontology population and to provide advanced practice hospice/palliative care. Advanced practice palliative care nursing serves patients, families, and caregivers during serious, progressive illnesses by providing holistic care that focuses on disease management, symptom relief, emotional distress, care transitions, and loss. Graduates are prepared to become certified by the American Nurses Credentialing Commission (ANCC) and to obtain Nurse Practitioner specialty certification by the State of Michigan. Additional specialty certification can be sought as an Advanced Certified Hospice and Palliative Care Nurse (ACHPCN).
- Graduates of our program have obtained Nurse Practitioner positions in acute care palliative/hospice practices and have been pioneers in helping to establish palliative care services in health organizations
- Graduates have continued their education by obtaining doctoral degrees
- Graduates have become faculty
Traci Stewart, DNP, NP, ACNP-BC, ACHPN
Traci advanced her career from Emergency Department Nurse to Emergency Department Nurse Practitioner immediately after completing the Acute Care Nurse Practitioner and Advanced Hospice and Palliative Care Degree. She found value in knowledge related to advanced disease management, emotional distress, family coping, and symptom relief gained in the program that enabled her to provide compassionate care to patients in emergency care settings. While she knew these were not all patients on a palliative care disease trajectory, there were aspects of caring as an advanced practice nurse that she learned in the program that were foundational to both palliative and non-palliative care patients. She continued on with her education and completed the Nurse/Health Educator Graduate Certificate and Doctor of Nursing Practice Degree. Dr. Stewart is currently practicing as a NP with the Cardiology/Electrophysiology Department at the VA Ann Arbor Health Care System where she is also a member of the Evidence Based Practice Committee. Her practice continues to draw on the skills and knowledge gained from her advanced nursing practice degrees. Each day she uses her advanced practice knowledge to guide conversations with patients, families, and other health professionals about goals of care and quality of life concerns. Dr. Stewart appreciates the uniqueness of the Acute Care Nurse Practitioner with Advanced Hospice and Palliative Care Specialty program that Madonna offers. She feels well prepared for the challenges she faces as a nurse practitioner caring for chronically ill patients and to handle complex physical, emotional and spiritual patient and family situations.