Why Study Essentials of Instruction at Madonna University?
- Madonna University’s College of Education has a reputation for excellence
- Coursework will prepare you for part-time teaching roles or to continue on for your bachelor’s degree
- This certificate can be completed in just three semesters
- The Field Placement Coordinator will help you secure classroom experiences while you earn your certificate
The Essentials of Instruction certificate includes five courses that provide students with essential teaching and pedagogy skills. This is a good first step for students interested in becoming a paraprofessional, substitute teacher, or a tutor; or for students who eventually may pursue a full teaching degree.
The courses that are part of this certificate program include:
- Introduction to Professional Education Experiences
- Educational Psychology
- Theory and Principles of Reading Instruction
- The Exceptional Learner in the Classroom
- Instructional Media
You will benefit from some of the same coursework made available to students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in teaching, along with small class sizes, and active, engaged instructors. Madonna’s faculty will also work directly with you in this certificate program to secure classroom observation opportunities at local schools for hands-on experience.
If you desire a level of flexibility in your career, and potentially are interested in part-time roles in education, you may find this certificate program ideal. Paraprofessionals are in demand in elementary, middle and high school classrooms throughout the State. There is also a shortage of substitute teachers, with many substitute teachers able to work as much or as little as they want in multiple school districts.
Some students pursue this certificate as a way to gain professional skills for delivering instructional information in for-profit or not-for-profit settings, making this a value-added educational endeavor for some professionals who already have one or more graduate or undergraduate degrees.