Master’s Degree Program in Early Childhood Education,
targeted at certified teachers and Child Development graduates, integrates
theory and practice to prepare you to work with young children from diverse
backgrounds, economic situations, and cultures. The goal of the program is
to enhance your skills and knowledge so that you can more effectively support
and promote student learning and motivation.
The program is based upon the State of Michigan
Early Childhood and Special Education standards and can help to prepare
certified teachers to earn the ZS endorsement. In addition, the MAT in
Early Childhood Education emphasizes leading edge classroom technology, new
developments in curriculum, learning and motivation theory, and a strong focus
on differentiating curriculum.
When making the decision which university to
attend in order to earn your Master’s degree or endorsement in Early Childhood
and Special Education, there are multiple reasons why Madonna should be at the
top of your list:
- You can
develop personal relationships with faculty who care deeply about your success.
- Our small class sizes ensure that you recive personal attention.
- Because of the depth
of our program and our reputation, Madonna’s graduates are highly thought of by
- You’ll have the opportunity to participate in the Madonna Early Childhood Club, an affiliate of NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children). MECC is an interactive and friendly group that participates in educational activities and community service.
- Some of our courses are offered in the late afternoon and evenings to accommodate a variety of schedules.
- You may choose the degree option which best fits your career goals: you may pursue the Master’s degree or work toward the ZS endorsement only.
- You'll be attending a program accredited by the state of Michigan.
What you learn
In the Masters of
Early Childhood Education program, you will learn about the growth and
development of children from the prenatal stage through early elementary.
You’ll learn about different theories of child development, learning theories,
and how to create learning environments and activities that are respectful,
supportive and challenging for all children. You’ll also learn to plan and
individualize learning experiences, assess environments, and develop materials
and activities to support emotional, social, cognitive, and physical growth and
development for both typically and atypically developing children. You can
learn more about the classes you’ll take from the Plan of Study.
What you can earn
completion of both your coursework and the Early Childhood and Special
Education endorsement test, you can earn the ZS endorsement.
Note: Choose the degree
option which best fits your career goals: you may pursue the Master’s degree or
work toward the ZS endorsement only. Madonna University does not offer
certification programs for non-certified individuals. However, those with a
Child Development degree are welcome to earn the Master’s Degree in Early
For more information, contact
Dr. Mary Tomczyk
Director, Early Childhood and Child Development
For information on teacher certification, contact
Nora Baker in the College of Education