Madonna University's College of Education offers a Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education. The goal of the program is to enhance the classroom performance of certified teachers by developing teaching skills that effectively support and promote student learning and motivation.
The MAT in Early Childhood Education integrates theory and practice to create a program that will prepare you to work with children from diverse backgrounds, economic situations, cultures, and abilities. The program is reflects the State of Michigan Early Childhood and Special Education standards and can help to prepare you to earn the ZS endorsement. In addition, the program emphasizes leading edge classroom technology, new developments in curriculum, learning and motivation theory, and a culminating school-based research project.
When making the decision which university to attend in order to earn your Master’s degree or endorsement in Early Childhood and Special Education, there are multiple reasons why Madonna should be at the top of your list:
- You’ll be attending a program accredited by the state of Michigan.
- You can develop personal relationships with faculty who care deeply about your success.
- Because of the depth of our program and our reputation, Madonna’s graduates are highly thought of by area schools.
- You’ll have the opportunity to participate in the Madonna Early Childhood Club, an affiliate of NAEYC (National Association for the Education of Young Children). MECC is an interactive and friendly group that participates in educational activities and community service.
- Our small class sizes ensure that you receive personal attention.
- Some of our courses are offered in the late afternoon and evenings to accommodate a variety of schedules.
- You may choose the degree option which best fits your career goals: you may pursue the Master’s degree or work toward the ZS endorsement only.
What you learn
In the Masters of Early Childhood Education program, you will learn about the growth and development of children from the prenatal stage through early elementary. You’ll learn about different theories of child development, learning theories, and how to create learning environments and activities that are respectful, supportive and challenging for all children. You’ll also learn to plan and individualize learning experiences, assess environments, and develop materials and activities to support emotional, social, cognitive, and physical growth and development for both typically and atypically developing children.
You can learn more about the classes you’ll take from the Plan of Study.
What you can earn
This program of study will prepare you to work with children from birth through age eight. Upon successful completion of your coursework, and successful completion of the Early Childhood test, you will earn the ZS endorsement.
Note: You may choose the degree option which best fits your career goals: you may pursue the Master’s degree or work toward the ZS endorsement only. Madonna University does not offer Master's level certification programs for non-certified individuals. However, those with a Child Development degree are welcome to earn the Master’s Degree in Early Childhood.
For more information, contact
Dr. Mary Tomczyk
Director, Early Childhood and Child Development
For information on teacher certification, please contact Nora Baker in the College of Education at email@example.com or at 734-432-5647.